Emily Williams, dnata Travel’s resident globetrotter, reveals the best places to hop on a plane in June
There’s much to love about Chicago in June. Make the most of the moderate weather and enjoy the open-air music, food and art festivals, have a picnic in Grant Park, and browse the unique boutiques and outlet malls. A top spot for foodies, you’ll never go hungry here, with a variety of outdoor food festivals taking place throughout the summer, offering dishes from around the world. And of course, you can try the famous deep-dish pizza at any time of year
1.Take a helicopter flight at dusk for breathtaking views of the illuminated city skyline with narration by an experienced guide.
2. Art buffs should head to the Art Institute of Chicago to see Manet’s works in the Modern Beauty exhibition running until 8 September.
3. Lose yourself in the Lurie gardens, an oasis of beautiful shrubberies and flowers in the middle of the city.
Fly in to Rome and explore Italy’s ancient past before hopping on a domestic flight to Naples, or driving directly to the dream-like Amalfi Coast. Take in some of the world’s most incredible coastal landscapes, with rugged cliffs towering over boutique beaches, olive gardens and lemon groves. Highlights include Sorrento, which sits atop a cliff with views of Mount Vesuvius, the colourful houses of Positano, and taking a boat trip to the island of Capri.
1. Learn how to cook traditional Italian food just like mama, at Mamma Agata’s cooking school.
2. Walk the lemon path from Maiori to Minori to see the golden fruits aplenty – a scene iconic of the Amalfi coast.
3. Consider travelling 4km to the bay of Conca de’ Marini where you can discover the Emerald Grotto – a cave with an intense green hue.
In beautiful Langkawi, the oncoming wet season brings comfortable temperatures. Plus, it’s less crowded. Best accessed from Kuala Lumpur via a domestic flight, this coastal gem is geographically closer to Thailand than mainland Malaysia. There’s much to explore across its 99 islets, with breathtaking beaches interspersed with tropical rainforests and vibrant towns. Base yourself at a luxury resort for the perfect island escape.
1. Climb aboard a boat and explore the mangrove forest where you’ll see eagles flying above head.
2. Take an Instagram snap at new heights: the pedestrianized, 410ft-long Langkawi Sky Bridge offers spectacular views worthy of sharing.
3. Head to the Langkawi night market to pick up a bargain or two and soak up the bustling ambience.
It’s not surprising that the remote Indian Ocean island of Madagascar tends to make the bucket list of nature and wildlife enthusiasts. Here, a high percentage of all plant and animal life, including the endangered lemur, exist nowhere else on Earth. Fly in via African gateways to access its vast stretches of white-sand beaches, rainforests, and even active volcanoes. In June, before the peak tourist season, rainfall is minimal and the flora is striking.
1. Take a cruise to see humpback whales as they arrive for the summer months.
2. Head South to visit the city of Ambositra, where you will find rich culture including Madagascar’s traditional wood-carving industry.
3. Go camping at Masoala Park, where you can enjoy hiking the trails before bedding down for a night under the stars.
Inspired to go? Click here for the latest offers